Thursday, November 11, 2010

unseen

In this world, this life, we always seek for evidence. We look for substantiation to believe a theory, we judge others based on what we see, we are convinced by another as much as their proof renders. Besides the hard evidence, the rest are shelved under the category of coincidences.
We live in such a serious world.

The gloomy weather across these days depicts and yet encourages my spirit. I have been reminded that nothing is temporal; though nothing beautiful on this earth remains, neither does hurt nor pain. While every pitiful situation evokes an amount of suffering, through suffering there is hope, and after suffering comes victory.

Before gran's cremation, I kept picturing my uncle's cremation to mentally prepare myself for it. I told myself i will not cry and to be prepared that it would not be pretty. To my surprise, the circumstance allowed the experience to be a proper close to this chapter; from the elegance of the way it was handled, to the single butterfly that was fluttering in the room below us almost following the casket, to the gentle closing of the doors after the casket was slowly put into the hole in the wall. When i was asked about it, somehow i could not stop myself from thinking about the word beauty.

In my life thus far, i have experienced worry and peace, fear and peace, but never ever such sorrow and peace. I am not saying that this is evidence, but i am saying i feel and know that I am held by hands unseen.

Amazing Grace Lyrics

John Newton (1725-1807)
Stanza 6 anon.

Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound,
That saved a wretch like me.
I once was lost but now am found,
Was blind, but now I see.

T'was Grace that taught my heart to fear.
And Grace, my fears relieved.
How precious did that Grace appear
The hour I first believed.

Through many dangers, toils and snares
I have already come;
'Tis Grace that brought me safe thus far
and Grace will lead me home.

The Lord has promised good to me.
His word my hope secures.
He will my shield and portion be,
As long as life endures.

Yea, when this flesh and heart shall fail,
And mortal life shall cease,
I shall possess within the veil,
A life of joy and peace.

When we've been here ten thousand years
Bright shining as the sun.
We've no less days to sing God's praise
Than when we've first begun.

2 comments:

jeanette said...

I teared non-stop the last time I was at a cremation because I kept thinking how I'd never see or hear that person again. And it hurt to know that the physical body was truly gone. But if you have anything to say to your gran now, I believe she'll always be watching out and listening. Your love or affection for her certainly hasn't changed.

Take care :)

ant said...

yeah, thank you dear. while the loss of her physically pains us all, the memories of her remain as jewels in our hearts.